Frequently Asked Drug QuestionsMood: spaceyNow Playing: CounsellorTopic: Drugs FAQ
HEROIN
What is heroin?
"Heroin" refers to diamorphine, an "opiate analgesic" -- ie a strong painkiller -- derived from the opium poppy. At optimal doses it's probably the most efficacious of all painkillers of this type. Street heroin is a mixture of this plus morphine and other opium alkaloids left over from the production process, plus sundry poppy residues. Of course it's nearly always "cut" ie diluted with inactive substance(s) to bulk it out so a gram of "heroin" and 1000mg diamorphine are very different things!
What does heroin look like?
There are two types of heroin sold in the West.
High-grade white heroin is also known as "Number 4" because of the 4-step process of refinement.
The brown heroin sold in Europe is so-called "Grade 3" and only 70% pure (maximum) at manufacture. It has only gone through 3 of the 4 steps. "Brown" is more attractive to dealers because it can be easily smoked and is therefore a more attractive product to novice users -- no needles required.
Why do junkies inject?
Not all users or addicts do. Injecting maximizes the drug's effect. Intravenous injecting delivers the entire dose to brain and body in seconds. I was totally against needles in the beginning. An ex-partner of mine left some behind in my room -- so all the accoutrements I needed were on hand. Lack of money finally lead me to injecting. Once I'd started I found I couldn't stop.
BTW: Smoking heroin or snorting it is no less likely to give you a habit.
ANOTHER 1/2 FINISHED ONE.
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION, PLEASE POST IT HERE. I WILL ANSWER AS FRANKLY AND ACCURATELY AS I CAN.
PS Anyone posting -- please could you state your location. (Country at least). - Ta
Posted by gledwood at 10:55 PM GMT
Friday, 19 January 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment